Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Which CAT-tool do you prefer for your translations?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 05:41
Portuguese to English
+ ...
None as yet Jan 29, 2022

I also prefer not to use CAT tools, but if I did it would be a free one. Can't afford to pay for a licence.
I tried a course in Trados, here known as Travos (from Travar, meaning '(a system) to crash'). There were so many folders to open that I was baffled. I have seen Matecat and Smartcat which seem reasonably easy to use, but they apparently work on the cloud which is worrying because of confidentiality issues.
Which is better, Matecat or Smartcat?

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 10:41
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
Wordfast Pro Jan 29, 2022

and next comes MemoQ. Those are the 2 CATs I own, but I use a lot of other client-sponsored tools such as Wordbee, Memsource, Access, SDL GroupShare etc.

In general, I like CAT tools a lot. SDL Trados is on the bottom of my preference list.

expressisverbis

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 09:41
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
A few... Jan 29, 2022

My "favourites list" includes Trados, Memoq, Memsource, Logiterm, Heartsome, and Spot for subtitling.
I don't like to work with POedit, MateCat, or SmartCat.

Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 05:41
Portuguese to English
+ ...
BAT Tool Jan 29, 2022

I also like my BAT Tool (Brain-Assisted Translation) or CeAT Tool (Cerebrum-Assisted Translation) tool. And you don't need a licence!

Regarding CAT Tools, this one has been overlooked:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWIPZvwcnX8

writeaway

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 09:41
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Fortunately, I am an artist Jan 29, 2022

Any translator may or may not prefer a CAT tool to work with.
It is a decision that belongs to each and every other professional and we must respect their decision and their way of working, according to their needs/preferences.
However, this does not mean that working with a computer-assisted translation tool diminishes the ability or the skills of the translator who uses it.
My brain is as good or better than that of other colleagues who do not use any CAT tool.
"A man
... See more
Any translator may or may not prefer a CAT tool to work with.
It is a decision that belongs to each and every other professional and we must respect their decision and their way of working, according to their needs/preferences.
However, this does not mean that working with a computer-assisted translation tool diminishes the ability or the skills of the translator who uses it.
My brain is as good or better than that of other colleagues who do not use any CAT tool.
"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; but a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist." - Louis Nizer
Collapse

Jean Dimitriadis
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Stepan Konev
Philip Lees
Robin LEPLUMEY
Baran Keki

Milan Condak
Milan Condak  Identity Verified
English to Czech
OmegaT in MS Windows Jan 29, 2022

Paul Dixon wrote:

And you don't need a licence!

I prefer OmegaT for most types of files and for free projects which I create. OmegaT is open source and multi-platform running on JRE as CafeTran Express. OmegaT reads and writes TMX. No databases, no import and exports.
I like eTranslation (free service of European Commission). I make MT to more languages and I see in OmegaT a text in more languages from TMX.
OmegaT support connection to payed and to free web MT services. But I like to use local MT. I use engines for NMT Opus-MT. A connector, an engine and models are available for free.

For some type of work I use DGT-OmegaT or BasicCAT (support of pre-translation of whole file from TM or MT).

I previously used licensed CAT for MS Word. Ten year ago was my preferred duo Wordfast Classic (WFC) + PC Translator (Czech rule based MT with dictionary) and compatible MetaTexis. WFC and MetaTexis use spelling and grammar checkers of MS Word. They offers good analytics and statistics. In MetaTexis is a time tracking feature and and the ability to store TM and terminology data in the selected database. For both CATs are available servers for big data.

For a short time I used Open/Libre Office instead of MS Word and Anaphraseus as a free replacement for Wordfast Classic, but without PC Translator.

My current CAT is alternative and not minority "Other".

Milan
Czech Wordfast and Metatexis Trainer

Cristiana Francone

Marlene Blanshay
Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 04:41
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
Trados Studio Jan 29, 2022

I finally got TRADOS and I really like it.

I trained in MemoQ but I don't really like it very much.

Smartcat is actually very user-friendly. Some of my clients use it.

expressisverbis

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Trados Studio Jan 30, 2022

I hated it at first - but that was Workbench 3.1, and both Trados and I have come a long way since then.

I have tried other CATs, and at one time used Wordfast Classic as a backup because Workbench would not open Excel files. One of my major clients preferred Wordfast Classic, but that was also many years ago!

Every time I try another CAT, I understand why some colleagues hate them, but I come back to Trados with a sigh of relief.

expressisverbis

Cristiana Francone
Cristiana Francone  Identity Verified
Romanian to Italian
+ ...
OmegaT Jan 30, 2022

I don't use so often CAT tools, but when I do, my first choice is OmegaT. It's free and it works fine (I use it on Linux, but it works with Windows and Mac, too).
Unfortunately, with the TRADOS packages OmegaT isn't the best solution, because I have to unzip the package and to work with the sole sdlxliff file.
So, in such cases, I use Smartcat. I find it good, too (the sole problem is that it works on the cloud).

Paul Dixon wrote:

I also prefer not to use CAT tools, but if I did it would be a free one. Can't afford to pay for a licence.
I tried a course in Trados, here known as Travos (from Travar, meaning '(a system) to crash'). There were so many folders to open that I was baffled. I have seen Matecat and Smartcat which seem reasonably easy to use, but they apparently work on the cloud which is worrying because of confidentiality issues.
Which is better, Matecat or Smartcat?

Mr. Satan (X)

ELIAS SEIDEL
ELIAS SEIDEL
United States
Local time: 04:41
English to Portuguese
Which CAT Tool? Sep 11, 2023

This subject is far from new. With all new technologies now, we have to rethink as translators. Agencies demand quick returns of translations. So, to me, I consider these features very important:

1. A termbase (glossary) that is recognized (including all the word inflections: plural, masculine, femine, ect.) by the Machine Translation ou GPT.
2. A CAT tool that uses and learns from my TM and Glossaries.

That is why
... See more
This subject is far from new. With all new technologies now, we have to rethink as translators. Agencies demand quick returns of translations. So, to me, I consider these features very important:

1. A termbase (glossary) that is recognized (including all the word inflections: plural, masculine, femine, ect.) by the Machine Translation ou GPT.
2. A CAT tool that uses and learns from my TM and Glossaries.

That is why I use Bureau Works(https://www.bureauworks.com). Easy to use, very inexpensive, all features do work fine. This CAT tool ix excellent! Give it a try. BWX manages to make TM, MT and TermBase work together, this CAT tool really learns from them.

Bureau Works is the greatest!!!
Collapse

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
OmegaT for SDLXLIFF Sep 12, 2023

Cristiana Francone wrote:
I don't use so often CAT tools, but when I do, my first choice is OmegaT. It's free and it works fine (I use it on Linux, but it works with Windows and Mac, too). Unfortunately, with the TRADOS packages OmegaT isn't the best solution, because I have to unzip the package and to work with the sole sdlxliff file. So, in such cases, I use Smartcat. I find it good, too (the sole problem is that it works on the cloud).

+1 for OmegaT on Linux. And since OmegaT is now available as a Flatpak app, we Linuxers can get it in the same manner as any other programs, i.e., from a curated software repository. No need to hunt for executables online to install and update it, unlike on some inferior OS. Very convenient, very safe.

I do wonder about compatibility with SDLXLIFF. Version 6.0.0 is supposed to have a better support for it. But I still don't dare to take on projects wrapped in this format. So thanks for the tip regarding Smartcat as a backup plan.

P.S.
1) I'm fully aware of Samuel's hack for older OmegaT versions.
2) I know OmegaT is already available on Debian's official repo. It's still on 3.6.0, though.

[Edited at 2023-09-12 03:23 GMT]

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
What about compatibility with other CAT tools? Sep 12, 2023

ELIAS SEIDEL wrote:

That is why I use Bureau Works(https://www.bureauworks.com). Easy to use, very inexpensive, all features do work fine. This CAT tool ix excellent! Give it a try. BWX manages to make TM, MT and TermBase work together, this CAT tool really learns from them.

Bureau Works is the greatest!!!

As per title

Just had a look at the website, it's cloud-based so not of interest for me.

[Edited at 2023-09-12 11:43 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Which CAT-tool do you prefer for your translations?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »