Dia Burisly  Identity Verified
Kuwait
Local time: 02:32
Member (2023)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Apr 16

Hello everyone:

I'm seeking advice on what to do when scammers are using my email address in their scams.

In January I received a job offer from a proz.com user, claiming to be a recruiter for translators from the university of Helsinki, I received a job offer, and checked the university website, the name on the offer and everything looked legit.

After a short while I discovered it was a scam.
Since then I have been receiving emails from other users
... See more
Hello everyone:

I'm seeking advice on what to do when scammers are using my email address in their scams.

In January I received a job offer from a proz.com user, claiming to be a recruiter for translators from the university of Helsinki, I received a job offer, and checked the university website, the name on the offer and everything looked legit.

After a short while I discovered it was a scam.
Since then I have been receiving emails from other users here accusing me of being the scammer (insulting ones too). I kept replying explaining that I myself was scammed and that I'm in no way, shape or form affiliated to these scammers.

Can anyone give me an advice or sugesst a course of action?

Thank you
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 00:32
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Dia Apr 16

Sorry to hear that! That scam has been around for some time and there are several threads on Proz about it. Maybe if you send a support ticket to Proz staff they can advise you on what to do. You should also inform the Scam Alert Center.

Dia Burisly
expressisverbis

Dia Burisly
Dia Burisly  Identity Verified
Kuwait
Local time: 02:32
Member (2023)
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Apr 16

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida wrote:

Sorry to hear that! That scam has been around for some time and there are several threads on Proz about it. Maybe if you send a support ticket to Proz staff they can advise you on what to do. You should also inform the Scam Alert Center.

Thank you for the advice and suggestion Maria, I will do so.

Much appreciated

maggiemaggie
maggiemaggie
United States
Local time: 18:32
English to Polish
+ ...
Response Apr 16

Hello Dia,

I'm truly sorry to hear about what happened to you. I understand how frustrating it must be. My suggestion would be to change your email address, close the old one and inform all your clients briefly about the situation and your new email address, or say if the client/s need/s something, they need to call you first.

Additionally, if you have a website or any other online presence, it would be wise to make a note on your profile about the scam.

It
... See more
Hello Dia,

I'm truly sorry to hear about what happened to you. I understand how frustrating it must be. My suggestion would be to change your email address, close the old one and inform all your clients briefly about the situation and your new email address, or say if the client/s need/s something, they need to call you first.

Additionally, if you have a website or any other online presence, it would be wise to make a note on your profile about the scam.

It's disheartening to see hackers and spammers causing such harm and tarnishing your reputation.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

My email address is being used by scammers

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »