English to Finnish
Apr 16

So, how do I do that?

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
What works? Apr 16

Could you say more on that? What, specifically, are you asking?

Do you mean you want to publish translations under a pseudonym? If so, is it about making sure you can retain the rights/attribution?

Cilian O'Tuama
Cilian O'Tuama  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:08
German to English
+ ...
Have you asked ChatGPT? Apr 16

Because mere mortals can't really help you with no info!

But with exactly the same information, here's what v3.5 spat out when I asked (for you):

---

Me
I'd like to use pseudonym in my works. So, how do I do that?

ChatGPT
Using a pseudonym for your work can be a great way to maintain privacy or create a distinct authorial identity. Here's how you
... See more

But with exactly the same information, here's what v3.5 spat out when I asked (for you):

---

Me
I'd like to use pseudonym in my works. So, how do I do that?

ChatGPT
Using a pseudonym for your work can be a great way to maintain privacy or create a distinct authorial identity. Here's how you can go about it:
Choose Your Pseudonym: Pick a name that resonates with you and fits the genre or style of your work. It should be something unique and memorable.
Check Availability: Before finalizing your pseudonym, do a quick search online to make sure it's not already in use by another author or public figure. You want your pseudonym to be distinct to avoid confusion.
Legal Considerations: While using a pseudonym is generally allowed, there may be legal considerations depending on where you live. It's a good idea to check with legal counsel to ensure you're following any necessary regulations.
Publishing Under Your Pseudonym: When submitting your work for publication, you can use your pseudonym instead of your real name. Make sure to clearly communicate to publishers and editors that you wish to be credited under your pseudonym.
Establishing Your Author Platform: If you plan to build an online presence or engage with readers, consider creating social media accounts and a website under your pseudonym. This helps maintain consistency and reinforces your authorial identity.
Copyright Considerations: When copyrighting your work, you can use your pseudonym instead of your real name. The copyright will still protect your rights regardless of the name used.
Maintain Consistency: Once you start using your pseudonym, try to be consistent in its usage across all your works and public appearances. This helps build recognition and trust among your audience.
Keep Your Identity Secure: If you're using a pseudonym for privacy reasons, be cautious about revealing your real identity in connection with your pseudonymous work.
Remember, using a pseudonym can be a fun and liberating way to express yourself creatively while also providing a layer of privacy or distinction. Just be sure to consider the legal and practical implications as you establish your pseudonymous authorial identity.
Collapse

Cilian O'Tuama
Cilian O'Tuama  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
You could even ask in Finnish! Apr 16

Me
Is Finnish one of the languages you translate into?

ChatGPT
Yes, I can assist with translating text to and from Finnish. Feel free to provide the text you'd like to translate, and I'll be happy to help!

---

Some people think even the free version of ChatGPT is helpful. I haven't been impressed in any way, though. It's not a recommendation.

Teuvo Matala
Teuvo Matala
Finland
Local time: 21:08
Member (Apr 2024)
English to Finnish
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, guys. Apr 16

I did that really "thorough" question in a hurry Kind a rookie with this site.
But your answers still helped me.

Teuvo

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
I'm guessing Apr 16

Teuvo Matala wrote:
I'd like to use pseudonym in my works
So, how do I do that?

I assume you mean that you want to publish your writing or translations under a pseudonym.

I'm just guessing here, but I think it would be quite difficult in this day and age not to reveal your real name to the publisher or the agent. If you go through a literary agent, it would add an extra level of security because the publisher's contact with you will always go through the agent, and your real identity would remain a secret. But it's possible that you can work with a publisher directly and still ensure that the printed version contains only your pseudonym.

The reason why I think it would be difficult to just use your pseudonym for all communication is that you have to get paid, and payment is electronic, and it would be difficult for you to get paid under a false name. Even if the pseudonym is your business name, in many countries people can find out who the directors of a company is, and then your secret is out anyway.

Added: You can add extra email addresses to your PayPal account and use them for payment.

Cilian O'Tuama wrote:
Have you asked ChatGPT?

The bot's response can be summarized as "be aware of the legal and practical implications".

The bot says: Copyright Considerations: When copyrighting your work, you can use your pseudonym instead of your real name. The copyright will still protect your rights regardless of the name used.

In my country of residence (the Netherlands), copyright belongs to the person, not their name. So you can still have copyright even if you used a pseudonym. However, you cannot exercise your right under your pseudonym. If you wish to sue someone for breach of copyright, you'd have to do so under your real name. (You would also have to prove to a judge that you are the same person.) One solution, if you want to remain anonymous, is to transfer your copyright to the publisher. This allows the publisher to sue, without revealing your real name. You also cannot grant a license to anyone using your pseudonym -- you have to use your real name when entering into contracts.

[Edited at 2024-04-16 07:47 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
The irony Apr 16

Most people here now seem to get ChatGPT to do their work but send it out under their own name.

Baran Keki
Zea_Mays
Barbara Carrara

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I'd like to use pseudonym in my works

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »