Has anyone used a contract with the client?
Thread poster: Lindsay Hall
Lindsay Hall
Lindsay Hall
United States
New user
Apr 16

Hi everyone,

I'm reaching out because I recently received a promising project offer from a US-based client. However, there's one aspect I'm unsure about: the client requires a written contract for tax purposes. I haven't used contracts in my freelance work before and would appreciate some guidance.

The client has offered a draft contract prepared by their lawyer, but mentioned I'm welcome to propose a different one if I prefer. I'm seeking advice on whether using the cl
... See more
Hi everyone,

I'm reaching out because I recently received a promising project offer from a US-based client. However, there's one aspect I'm unsure about: the client requires a written contract for tax purposes. I haven't used contracts in my freelance work before and would appreciate some guidance.

The client has offered a draft contract prepared by their lawyer, but mentioned I'm welcome to propose a different one if I prefer. I'm seeking advice on whether using the client's provided contract is advisable or if there are potential drawbacks to consider. Additionally, if anyone could recommend reliable contract templates to ensure everything is legally sound and transparent, I'd be incredibly grateful.
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 20:04
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Lindsay Apr 17

Over the years I’ve signed a few contracts with some direct clients. I had any qualms about signing them and I doubt they would accept a different one. Anyway, if I was to propose another contract, I wouldn’t utilise any internet templates, I would consult a lawyer. What’s exactly your issue with their contract?

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 20:04
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Lindsay Apr 17

In the meanwhile, I had a look at your profile and I’ve seen that you are beginner. Please be extremely careful as scammers are always looking for inexperienced translators and the contract may aim just to inspire confidence.

Dr. Tilmann Kleinau
Christopher Schröder
expressisverbis
Emanuele Vacca
IrinaN
Yasutomo Kanazawa

Warren Crosson
Warren Crosson
United States
New user
@Lindsay Apr 17

I recommend you to visit a lawyer to have a contract drafted individually to your needs so you won't get into such situations anymore. Though in this case if you don't want to use the client's contract you may offer them to use a neutral one. There're lots of website's that offer free contract templates, for example https://lawrina.org

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
What does it say? Apr 17

Every time we accept a job we enter into a contract, so it being in writing doesn't have to be a big deal. You just need to read it and see if there's anything you don't like. You could always post it here for a second opinion.

expressisverbis
Michele Fauble
Yasutomo Kanazawa

Peter Motte
Peter Motte  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 21:04
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Always Apr 17

There is almost always a contract in some or other form. Usually there is at least an NDA (non-disclosure agreement).

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
Local time: 14:04
English to Russian
+ ...
Dear Lindsey, Apr 17

A promising contract with a translation student without any information in the profile and a single advertised working field, offered hours after registration, sounds like a fairy tale aka scam. I mean, I believe that you have been contacted but... read Scam forum carefully, especially about immediate hits with fabulous offers during the first week after registration.

Why would any serious client do this? It's like hiring a walk-in for a managerial position - no interview, no tests
... See more
A promising contract with a translation student without any information in the profile and a single advertised working field, offered hours after registration, sounds like a fairy tale aka scam. I mean, I believe that you have been contacted but... read Scam forum carefully, especially about immediate hits with fabulous offers during the first week after registration.

Why would any serious client do this? It's like hiring a walk-in for a managerial position - no interview, no tests, no background check, nothing, please enjoy your corner office with the window. What is being promised? A million words at $0.0001 using MT/AI? This is the only slim chance of this contact being real but do you need it? Those clients do not care if you speak English at all, in any field.

Best of the best got real jobs from Proz after several months/years, some - never or kept declining miserable rates. First years of Proz have been an exception but that was 20 years ago in a different translation world.

Of course, you can ask to see the contract but first of all, check if they request any banking information to be stated in the contract, which could be a new trick up the sleeve as, finally, more people are coming to their senses dealing with thousands of scams, and some may not be so eager to provide their "vitals" on a first email request from strangers. "Contract" sounds so much more solid.

Be careful!
Collapse

Michele Fauble
Daryo
Yasutomo Kanazawa

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Has anyone used a contract with the client?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »